The acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree. (How it began?)

What can I say, we are both nuts.

The crew team had a regatta at the New England Championships in Worcester Massachusetts on Sunday, October 11.  Kelly had taken the bus up with the crew team in the early hours of the morning and Frank and I joined her shortly after in the Hornet.  The day was a beautiful fall day, and we had set up our chairs under a huge oak tree.  I had noticed earlier that the crew kids were having fun palling around and tossing acorns at each other.  Such comradery and friendship that warms my heart.

While lounging in my chair reading my book, an acorn dropped and pelted me hard on the right boob.  It hurt!  First I looked around and thought that maybe the crew kids were tossing acorns at me but that was clearly not the case.  The landing sight hurt a bit but I chalked up to a very big acorn possibly thrown by a very strong squirrel.  Half an hour later, another acorn hit me landing square on the front of my head.  Instantly a bulbous lump appeared and it was very tender to the touch.

I started warning other people sitting under this attacking oak tree to watch for their body parts.  They smiled and laughed and mentioned that not a one had been hit yet.  Hmm.  Strange.

Later that week, as in 3 days later, I had a routine breast MRI, screening.  As a BRCA2 patient, I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago to reduce the risk of ovarian cancer (as my mom has been fighting it for 18 years).  I was told and fully on board, that the breasts could wait until mid 60’s as oophorectomy considerably reduces the risk of breast cancer.  I have these done every 6 months that alternate between mammograms and MRI’s.  2 days later on Friday, while I had taken the day off to explore Kent CT with Sabine, I realized that my GYN Oncologist, Beth Nelson ( a true angel) had been trying to contact me.  When I finally listened to her voice mail later in the evening, it was a calm message saying the breast MRI had a little inconsistency that she would like it double checked with an ultrasound.  And if the ultrasound also seemed to show anything, they would do an immediate biopsy.  I was a little shaken, but not overly concerned, especially because when I called Dr. Nelson on her cell phone, she was very calm and supportive about it.  I mentioned it to Frank and we both seemed ok.  I called my sister too and she reminded me that this is why we get screened so carefully.


By the coming Monday, I had an ultrasound scheduled for 10/26 at St Francis.  So… this was interesting.  a few days before the ultrasound, I received the usual call from St Francis to over medical information prior to any procedure.  One of the questions I was asked was if I had recalled being jerked suddenly in my car, resulting in the seat belt banging my chest or maybe a dog jumping on me and landing on my chest.  So I thought briefly, very briefly, and couldn’t recall anything that could have possibly creating a bump that would result in a shadow on an MRI.  
And then an hour later I remembered the acorn.  I remembered how hard it hit and how much it hurt.  It made me laugh and I called Frank to remind him about the attack of the acorns.  We both laughed and were starting to believe that this may actually be the cause of all the confusion.  Right up to the morning of the biopsy, Frank and I would say, we’re rooting for the acorn!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s